 Robotics / 6976
Re: a couple of new-bot questions from a generally quiet lurker
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 1999 09:06:25 GMT

On Tue, 21 Sep 1999, Ian Warfield wrote:

In addition, I'm happy to say that it meets all the criteria of another post
on this subject:
1) Like the single rotation sensor system, you can monitor the
difference in wheels in forward/backward movement
2) You can monitor Forward/backward DISTANCE
3) You can monitor turning distance.
4) You can detect stalling.  (if no pulses are coming in, the robot is
not moving, and something else must be done.)
5) You can calculate speed.

The only thing I don't like about this design is having to correct "drift"
every few feet, although with this design you know about it and can fix it
easily on the run.  Other than that, it works pretty well.

You can achieve all 5 of these criteria with the standard differtrans, if
you put a rotation sensor directly on each motor shaft...

[ I've build such a 'bot, and it appears to work pretty well (ie it
measures distance accurately, and drives in a straight line without
drifting) Unfortunately I don't have a good surface to test it on (only
the RIS test mat on carpet!), so I can't (yet) promise that I can do
accurate distances _and_ angles using the sensors. ]

...although if you _really_ want to know where you are, then you wouldn't
turn while driving (the calculations get really tricky!) - in which case
you only need one motor, since you're only doing one thing at a time.

That sounds like an interesting challenge: build a *compact* differtrans
which runs off one motor, ie only forwards and rotate right (or left, if
you prefer!)  It can presumably be done with 3 differentials, but can it
be done with 2? 1??  (I only have 2 diffs [unless you count an old-style
one], so I'll be trying the 2-diff version...!)

Stuart