 Robotics / 6737
  Re: The Scout brick: smart or dumb? (was: Robotics Discovery Set)

(...) Of course there is no doubt that the RCX is far more versatile than the Scout but it still has it's advantages. Sometimes I just want to build a robot that rolls around, avoids objects when a touch sensor is hit, and makes funny little noises. (...) (25 years ago, 7-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: The Scout brick: smart or dumb? (was: Robotics Discovery Set)

(...) the (...) the (...) If that's the extent of the behaviors you can program a Scout with I think it's more on the toy side than the RCX. With the alternate development platforms of the RCX (NQC, LegOS, etc) I'd say it's at least three times more (...) (25 years ago, 7-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: The Scout brick: smart or dumb? (was: Robotics Discovery Set)

(...) I appreciate the description, but I'm having trouble figuring out how it could possibly (even in the altered reality of marketing) come out to 3000. Based on your description, it appears that the Scout user selects one of four types of motion, (...) (25 years ago, 7-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: The Scout brick: smart or dumb? (was: Robotics Discovery Set)

(...) (This is a reply to the orphan message (URL) point was, that his description did not specify what was missing. He said nothing about "program steps" and imagining such steps gets us no closer to the truth. Here is Robert's text again so you (...) (25 years ago, 7-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: The Scout brick: smart or dumb? (was: Robotics Discovery Set)

(...) The error is in my depth of description. My aim was to provide interesting general information instead of (perhaps) boring or confusing details. So to clarify: There are four MOTION actions but the "circle" command can be set to clockwise or (...) (25 years ago, 7-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: The Scout brick: smart or dumb? (was: Robotics Discovery Set)

That really helps a lot! Now I know what the Scout can do. I'm still not sure if I'll buy one, but it certainly makes it more likely. To sum up (for others) the Scout user will: - select an initial type of movement: none, straight, zigzag, circle (...) (25 years ago, 7-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: The Scout brick: smart or dumb? (was: Robotics Discovery Set)

(...) TOUCH "reverse" means reverse both motors if touch sensor A or B (...) TOUCH "waitfor" means do nothing until touch sensor A or B (...) Correct. (...) LIGHT "waitfor" means wait for a light change before any action. (...) Same as above. (...) (...) (25 years ago, 7-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: The Scout brick: smart or dumb? (was: Robotics Discovery Set)

Thanks for the corrections. It definitely looks like they have the majority of "child-type" [1] robot projects pretty well covered, including (almost?) all of the obvious things you would use the sensors for. - Robert Munafo (URL) LEGO: TC+++(8480) (...) (25 years ago, 7-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics)