 Robotics / 5970
Re: RCX battery cover
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 2 Aug 1999 13:25:15 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, lego-robotics@crynwr.com (Marty) writes:
I noticed that the battery cover on the bottom of my RCX is really
loose.  So loose that I wouldn't risk holding the thing upside down by
the cover (since i'm afraid it would come off).  Has anyone else noticed
this?

Yeah, you pretty much have to make sure your design holds the battery cover on,
for example by having beams both underneath and on top of the RCX, held
together with vertical beams and connector pegs. This can be a bit of a
challenge if you also want to be able to change the batteries easily without
taking half the robot apart in the process.

Has anyone considered the idea of using a seperate 9V battery pack to power the
RCX? You'd have to rig up a custom cable with a lego connector on one end and
an "AC adapter" connector on the other end, and you'd have to leave the battery
pack's switch turned on all the time to avoid losing the programs in the RCX
memory. But, it would make design more flexible because you'd then be able to
locate the batteries anywhere that's convenient.

- Robert Munafo