 Robotics / 5971
Re: web controllable robots
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 2 Aug 1999 13:28:55 GMT

Kevin Baker wrote:

In lugnet.robotics, lego-robotics@crynwr.com (Patrick Hayes) writes:
I just recently purchased a Mindstorms set (and a bunch of add-ons), plus I
have stuff like an X-10 wireless cam (very cool but a bit bulky to mount on
a robot).  I've been programming since forever, and I could probably help on
any projects (with a preference of coding in Java, since it's portable and
such, but whatever).  It's a lot easier to get me going on programming once
someone lays out what it's supposed to look like and do.  Besides coding, I
also do dynamic web sites for a living, so I could also lay out / host any
web sites (I wouldn't host with outgoing live video feeds; my home line is
only that fast on inbound, not outbound, content (it's microwave-based)).

Let me know if anybody wants to collaborate on something.

There is a discussion going on about an IR protocol for LegOS, nicknamed
LNP (Which I am very keen on us implementing, hopefully in a fairly open
form). The idea that sounds quite trick there is an IP<->LNP router of some
sort, which would not only allow remote control of robots via the internet,
but also robot<->robot comms via the internet.

Interested?

Kevin.

You can do this today with LegOS/EmuLegOS, and possibly with the
standard firmware.  In case you don't follow LegOS, EmuLegOS is an
emulator for the LegOS libraries, but the latest version contains
virtual and real IR support.  Baiscally there is a chat server for robots which
accepts client connections via IP sockets.  When one client sends data
to the server, it sends that data out to all the clients.  There are a
few types of clients, one of which is the irclient, this client reads
from the serial port (IR tower) and transmits any data it reads to the
server.  Any data it receives from the server it writes to the IR
tower.  Because it is simply transfering the raw data I think it will
probably work for the normal Lego firmware as well as with LegOS.  If
not it should be easy to tweak so it does.  The server and irclient are
written in the Tcl scipting language which is platform independent. You
can get the latest version of emuLegOs from
http://www.geocities.com/~marioferrari/emulegos.html

grab the Linux version even if you're not using Linux,  to do this IR
stuff you only need the Tcl files which aren't currently part of the
Windows version.  You'll need Tcl which is available for free from
http://www.scriptics.com.

I've only tested these Tcl scripts under Linux but they should work on Windows,
and Mac with little or no modifications.

The name of the server is roboroom.tcl, the ir client is irclient.tcl,
and there is an interactive client where you can type data that you want
to trasnmit called guiclient.tk

have fun,

Mark Falco