 Robotics / 5705
Re: web controllable robots
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 17 Jul 1999 04:13:46 GMT

On Fri, 16 Jul 1999, Jason Jenkins wrote:

My roommate and I are planning to try that.  We don't have any ideas yet,
except that the wireless camera on www.x10.com looks cool.  Also, getting
the bot to change direction would require either line of sight to the IR
interface, or some radio interface to an IR signal generator mounted on the
bot.
Anyone else have ideas about controlling the bot dynamically?

I've got a Color Quickcam set up in a pan/tilt arrangement on the top of
my cube wall at work.  It's not web-controllable yet (there are issues
with the RCX software still, and I need a pair of rotation sensors), but
it is computer-controlled.  Sorry, no pictures of the whole setup right
now (I'll take a couple Monday when I get in), but there are pictures of
the mechanism itself.  The IR tower is connected to the computer, and
taped to the cube wall off to the side, about 18" away from the pan/tilt
head (called 'gremlin' for reasons best left to the pictures below).  The
thing is powered by a cheap Radio Shack wall wart, and thus has been up
and running for months now, without rebooting (more than I can say for the
computer controlling... <g>).  The battery in the IR tower is still going
(no, not an Energizer battery...).

Check out http://www.cse.ogi.edu/~omega/260cam/ for the details, plus a
live webcam (currenly pointed at a wall, I'll see about pointing it into
my cube in a couple minutes (I'm home sick, so we'll see if I can get it
pointed without too much hassle from here).

         Erik Walthinsen <omega@cse.ogi.edu> - Staff Programmer @ OGI
        Quasar project - http://www.cse.ogi.edu/DISC/projects/quasar/
   Video4Linux Two drivers and stuff - http://www.cse.ogi.edu/~omega/v4l2/
        __
       /  \             SEUL: Simple End-User Linux - http://www.seul.org/
      |    | M E G A           Helping Linux become THE choice
      _\  /_                          for the home or office user