 Robotics / 5704
5703  |  5705
Subject:
web controllable robots (fwd)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 17 Jul 1999 02:50:38 GMT

----- Forwarded message from Pedram Amini -----

From: "Pedram Amini" <pamini@tcs.tulane.edu>
Subject: web controllable robots
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 22:27:54 -0500

I was wondering if anyone knows of a way or has any ideas of how I could
implement a web controlled bot. My plan is to sit a web cam on top of a
robot and I want a user to be able to control which way the camera looks via
the web...I think its a pretty interesting idea.

----- End of forwarded message from Pedram Amini -----

I'm working ever so slowly on such a project. I'd hoped to have it done
by now but the folks who were helping me dropped out so I'm doing it solo.

My over-all plan is to have a table-top with a wall around it so the crawler
can't get off. There will be a b/w camera pointed at it (from above) that will
be run into a WebTV board to do the framegrabbing (I'm looking at 5 fps @
320x200 currently). I'm hoping to create a cgi script that will allow users to
write a program (I'm currently looking at nqc) and then xfer it to the bot.

The reason that I chose not to mount the camera on the bot was due to
perspective problems. Since I don't intend to have a home-position or any
similar standard there was no way a user could really get a good idea of the
relationships from an on-board camera. This could create problems in
writing and testing the programs.

So far I've got the bot built, the table located. I need to buy a WebTV and
load SuSE Linux and associated software. As soon as I can relocate the
test equipment on the table (i.e scope, logic analyzer, etc.) to an
alternate location I'll start putting the pieces together. I hope to have a
new rack for the equipment sometime toward the middle of next month. If luck
is with me I'll be done before the new year.

         New scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its
         opponents...but rather because its opponents eventualy die
         and a new generation grows up which is familiar with it.

                                                 Max Plank

       The Armadillo Group       ,::////;::-.          James Choate
       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage@ssz.com
       www.ssz.com            .',  ||||    `/( e\      512-451-7087