 Robotics / 5723
RE: web controllable robots
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 17 Jul 1999 18:49:46 GMT

I was wondering if anyone knows of a way or has any ideas of how I could
implement a web controlled bot. My plan is to sit a web cam on top of a
robot and I want a user to be able to control which way the
camera looks via
the web...I think its a pretty interesting idea.

Thanks in advance...
Pedram

=================
I've been planning on doing something like that.

It's been about 3-4 years, but I've done web control of robots over the web
(long before Mindstorms; we were a sort of beta testers for Lego and
Fischertechnic(sp?)).  In fact, some buddies and I built a system which
simultaneously handled an arbitrary number of robots hooked up to computers
(limited only by the number of robots, controllers, and ports on lab
machines to hook them to), handling not just motion but also color
detection, contact sensors, etc.  I would need to do it from scratch this
time, but it isn't hard.

I just recently purchased a Mindstorms set (and a bunch of add-ons), plus I
have stuff like an X-10 wireless cam (very cool but a bit bulky to mount on
a robot).  I've been programming since forever, and I could probably help on
any projects (with a preference of coding in Java, since it's portable and
such, but whatever).  It's a lot easier to get me going on programming once
someone lays out what it's supposed to look like and do.  Besides coding, I
also do dynamic web sites for a living, so I could also lay out / host any
web sites (I wouldn't host with outgoing live video feeds; my home line is
only that fast on inbound, not outbound, content (it's microwave-based)).

Let me know if anybody wants to collaborate on something.

-Patrick
|       \|||/       |Patrick Hayes           pat@patrickhayes.com |
|   ____{0 -}____   |(801)-250-8967   cel.550-3387   fax 715-0336 |
|  (  __| U |__  )  |Software engineer    (programming since 1982)|
|   \ \_\_o_/_/ /   | -Modeling in Rational Rose.                 |
|    \ _*****_ /    | -Graphic interface, 3D graphics.            |
|       *****       | -Implementation in C/C++, Java, VB, ASM, ...|
|       #####       | -XML, XSL, HTML, Servlet, JSP, ODBC, JDBC,  |
| .oooO/ ### \Oooo. |      SQL, PHP3 for Internet/intranet apps.  |
|  \ ( /     \ ) /  |Also:  I'm a husband, dad, churchgoer, big on|
|   \_)       (_/   | movies, technology fanatic, poet, bilingual,|
|                   | play 12 instruments,composer w/small studio.|
*If the picture looks wrong switch to fixed(e.g. Courier New) font*