 Robotics / 5754
  Re: digital camera entirely made of mindstorms?

(...) Ooh, I didn't see that. Thanks. (...) Hmmm. I guess in that case my second scepticalness is over the ability to aim position the lens that precisely with lego gears... (25 years ago, 21-Jul-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: digital camera entirely made of mindstorms?

(...) The error you refer to can be eliminated by using a rotation sensor on the axle of greatest angular velocity, and (more important) by scanning in the same direction each time. - Robert Munafo (25 years ago, 21-Jul-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: digital camera entirely made of mindstorms?

This thread is pretty old, but if any of you have questions about how I made my pure-lego digital camera, I would be happy to answer them. The camera scanned the sensor by tilting the sensor. It used the magnifying glass from the Adventurer's set. (...) (24 years ago, 26-Sep-00, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: digital camera entirely made of mindstorms?

(...) (This may be marginally off-topic - but someone will find it useful) That reminds me of the digital camera I made 'by hand' about 15 years ago by *carefully* milling the 'lid' off an old DRAM chip and replacing it with a microscope slide (...) (24 years ago, 27-Sep-00, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: digital camera entirely made of mindstorms?

Oh! I remember a story about that in one of the Apple ][ magazines, or Circuit Cellar or something. They took a picture of a lightbulb I think (I guess their version needed more light than yours). They used the same technique you describe. I thought (...) (24 years ago, 27-Sep-00, to lugnet.robotics)

  Color images? (was: Re: digital camera entirely made of mindstorms?)

Ok, maybe I'm just out in left field on this one, or maybe someone will actually be inspired to try it out... How about making a color digital camera? Proposal: modify the existing design for the camera by adding on a colored filter, and an extra (...) (24 years ago, 27-Sep-00, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Color images? (was: Re: digital camera entirely made of mindstorms?)

(...) Ok, so it's uncouth to reply to my own messages, but more on the color blending: -each filter could be 2 1x2 trans bricks-- the red filter would be green & blue, green would be red & blue, blue would be red & green -you'd also have a 4th (...) (24 years ago, 27-Sep-00, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Color images? (was: Re: digital camera entirely made of mindstorms?)

In theory, yes I believe it could be done, however I would be concerned that a 1x2 filter would be so thick as to distort the image drastically... better to take a sheet of transparency material and print a red, green and blue spot and attach it (...) (24 years ago, 27-Sep-00, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Color images? (was: Re: digital camera entirely made of mindstorms?)

First you would need to find a light sensor that detects visible light, not mostly infared light. What type of sensor is this? Andy (...) (24 years ago, 28-Sep-00, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Color images? (was: Re: digital camera entirely made of mindstorms?)

I tried this a little when I first made my robot using the red bat wings that come with the set, and I couldn't get a good image through one of them. One of the big problems is that the sensor is mostly infrared, with some red sensitivity. I haven't (...) (24 years ago, 28-Sep-00, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Color images? (was: Re: digital camera entirely made of mindstorms?)

(...) Actually, I went home and tried it, and this seems to be the major problem. Even for objects that were totally green or blue, the value with the red filter over the end of the sensor was consistantly higher than the blue or green filtered (...) (24 years ago, 28-Sep-00, to lugnet.robotics)