 Robotics / 5577
Re: Have 4 motors, need help!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 10 Jul 1999 13:42:43 GMT

This is an excerpt from an "almost" real-life experience:

Lalala, look mom! My robot has four motors! Two on each side to power the
tank treads. Is this cool or what!?

*All of a sudden, the robot makes a strange noise, emmits some smoke, and
stops*

What happened!? Oh no! all these motors powering this ultra cool robot broke
all my gears and did a feedback loop to the RCX which disintegrated like
those people in funny suits on that show called Star Trek! What do I do
now!?

-Chris

Alan Carmack <agcarmack@prodigy.net> wrote in message
In lugnet.robotics, Christopher Alas writes:
What can you do with 2 motors on each  side output that turn the
same?

Power, power, and more power!!

or

Speed, speed, and more speed!!

Just 2-3 days ago I saw on a web site a small pic of two motors driving • the
same gear, to provide double power/speed.  I wish I could find this page • again
because I would like to copy that setup.  Anyway, with two motors (instead • of
one) powering the same gear train (or axle) you end up with twice the • power,
good for treads moving over carpet--or at least I hope it is.  :-)

Alan C