 Robotics / 5489
  Robotic Wheelchair

Anybody catch the segment last night on the robotic wheelchair. I think it was on Dateline. Watching it climb stairs was impressive, but seeing the chair stand upright on two of its four wheels while the occupant caught a 25lb sack of lead, all (...) (25 years ago, 1-Jul-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Robotic Wheelchair

(...) Hrm. I wonder if things would have been different if the occupant had caught a 25 lb sack of feathers? Probably. -Kekoa (25 years ago, 2-Jul-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Robotic Wheelchair

Most definitely. Since the 25lbs of lead is heavier it was more impressive. But now that I think about it, they never did show what was in the bag. It might have been a trick. -Nick Kekoa Proudfoot wrote in message ... (...) (25 years ago, 2-Jul-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  [OT] Feathers 'n Lead...

(...) I think so too. I remember seeing some footage of a feather and a hammer? being dropped by an astronaut on the moon's surface. They both hit the ground at the same time, which proves to mee that even a single feather is as heavy as a hammer, (...) (25 years ago, 2-Jul-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Robotic Wheelchair

25 lbs is 25 lbs -S.I. Newton (...) (25 years ago, 2-Jul-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Robotic Wheelchair

How true. But, to be fair, some 25 lb. things are easier to catch than others. What a silly little discussion this is! ;] (...) (25 years ago, 2-Jul-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Robotic Wheelchair

Jason Jenkins wrote in message <199907021838.LAA203...RI.COM>... (...) Indeed. This is beginning to rival the infamous "angular velocity" debate from a couple weeks ago! (25 years ago, 2-Jul-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Robotic Wheelchair

Yeah, Except, I figured this one was going down entirely sarcastic lines of discussion. I mean, my sarcasm meter was pegging off the scale on these posts. However, I do think having it catch a 25 pound lump of feathers is a little trickier than a 25 (...) (25 years ago, 2-Jul-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Robotic Wheelchair

(...) and Nick responded: some people have an extremely limited sense of humor! - - - Nick - - - -- Did you check the web site first?: (URL) (25 years ago, 2-Jul-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Robotic Wheelchair

But *catching* 25 lbs of lead is different than catching 25 lbs of feathers. The G forces during impact (which in turn affect the forces needed to maintain balance) vary tremendously depending on the shape, size, and compressive properties of the (...) (25 years ago, 2-Jul-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Robotic Wheelchair

Thanks Dave, for this rather complete and clear explanation of what I alluded to. In case anyone misunderstood me about feathers being easier to catch. Dave explained it much better. (...) yeah. we did. :) (25 years ago, 2-Jul-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Robotic Wheelchair

It was intended only to be humorous. Whoops. But at the same time, I did indeed see the segment as the original post asked. It was very very impressive to see a "robot" balance and drive around on only two wheels. I believe the inventor said the (...) (25 years ago, 2-Jul-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Robotic Wheelchair

Just having fun :) Thanks for the physics lesson. This is one of the aspects of robotics that I like; there are so many aspects that need to be taken into consideration. BTW for anyone who is in the SF bay area and has access to the Mercury news. (...) (25 years ago, 2-Jul-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Robotic Wheelchair

Well, you are all obviously discounting the amount of powder used to fire the projectile... Having not seen the article or the video, I had thought that the occupant hand caught the weight as it was tossed to him (which puts a very different (...) (25 years ago, 2-Jul-99, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: [OT] Feathers 'n Lead...

(...) being (...) as (...) MORE (...) the dropping of the objects on the moon was to prove that when 2 objects are dropped from the same height in an environment with little or no friction they will hit the ground at the same time. both bags weigh (...) (25 years ago, 12-Jul-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: VERY [OT] Feathers 'n Lead...

(...) I think the original poster was putting his tongue firmly in cheek there. BTW, the dropping of objects would be a second experimental proof that gravity affects all objects equally regardless of weight. Best test being in a vacuum where you (...) (25 years ago, 12-Jul-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  RE: VERY [OT] Feathers 'n Lead...

(...) Sorry for the extra quoting here, but the thread was a bit old...and just for everyone's info, both bags have the SAME mass, so they have the same first moment of inertia....I think. The shape of the object generally affects the SECOND momemnt (...) (25 years ago, 12-Jul-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)