 Robotics / 4739
Re: A robot who knows his position (fwd)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 30 Apr 1999 15:05:44 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Mike Moran writes:
In lugnet.robotics, Mario Ferrari writes: • [snip]

I think a magnetic or gyro compass would work better. Is there anybody around
who did interface a compass to the RCX?

I did consider trying to rig up a crude light-sensor looking at a cheap
compass, but thought against it. Just detecting the, usually red and blue,
arrow sounds pointless, whilst taking one apart and attaching a patterned disk
to it seems infeasible as the card of the disk would probably be too heavy for
the compass needle to move around. Is this the only way to do this without
building some sort of little bit of electronics gadgetry?

  I'm currently looking at an RCX interface to a Dinsmore compass module that
uses Hall-Effect sensors to detect N-S-E-W and triggers two of them when
dead-center between two cardinal points, so you get N-NE-E-SE...  Not that
great resolution, but about as good as a human can do by "eye"!  I built a
serial comm version of this for other robots (can't be used by the RCX), now
I'm trying to figure a way to make it reliable to the brick.  Stay tuned!

  BTW, for all of you out there that have the RCX IRPD kits/units, what have
you done with yours?  I'm creating a game area delineated by a black tape
line and turning loose a prey and predator RCX one that runs away and one
that hunts.  The hunter will be armed with a pair of dart guns from a Cyber-
Slam kit and an IRPD to search for the prey, the prey will have "hit"
sensors to detect a successful attack and an IRPD to look for things to
run from.  Yeah, I have two Mindstorms kits now, I'm an addict!
  Both will have down facing light sensors to stay in bounds.

have fun,
DLC