 Robotics / 4740
Re: A robot who knows his position (fwd)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 30 Apr 1999 15:09:32 GMT

On Fri, 30 Apr 1999, Mike Moran wrote:

. . .
Now I come to think of it, if you allowed the light sensor to move such that
it could follow the head of the arrow, then we could arrange it so that the
light sensor starts off above the bright arrow. However, when the arrow moves
as a result of movement then the light sensor assembly starts "seeking" right
and left until it encounters the bright arrow again. Since the assembly knows
how far it has travelled, and in what direction, it can give a reading on
bearing. Unfortunately this would require use of a motor and some fidgeting
around with some code to drive the thing. However, it sounds like it may be
do-able and useful.
Can anyone see any problems with this?

Yes.  It is unnecessarily clumsy and heavy and would require considerable
computer attention to track rotation successfully.  I believe digital
encoding would be better.  Anyone know how one determines direction
in instruments such as electronic surveying instruments?  If the sensor is
only one bit intensity sensitive (on/off), then two sensors placed so that
one is 90 degrees out of phase with the other will allow direction
determination since the pattern would be
#1on,#2on,blank,blank,#1on,#2on,... in one direction and the same but with
#'s 1 & 2 two reversed in the other direction.  The system would surely be
messed up with any rotation too rapid for the reponse time of the
sensors/computer processing time.

Looking forward to resolution of this problem and even a working
implementation!     Ralph    deal@kzoo.edu