 Robotics / 4770
Re: A robot who knows his position (fwd)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 30 Apr 1999 14:49:16 GMT

Mike Moran <mm@ee.ed.ac.uk> wrote in response to a compass query from
rajackson@qnx.com:

<cut>

I have not tried this yet as I have not figured it all out yet but....
The dive compass I have  (which  is  relativly  large)  has  a  window
visible  from  the  side  this has degree markings and lines for every
degree. The lines are reasonably large 2mm  or  so  and  have  a  very
distinct white  on  black marking. It should be possible to detect the
lines  with the light sensor, but detecting the direction of  rotation
may be more  difficult.  There is also a large white arrow on the top.

Now if you can get the compass manufacturer to vary the degree markings so
that the black lines have a grey line next to them before the white in
one direction, you could use a two bit light sensor to determine the
direction.  How many intensity bits does the normal light sensor have?

Best, Ralph   deal@kzoo.edu