 Robotics / 4716
Re: Inverting the robot position problem...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 28 Apr 1999 19:59:16 GMT

On Wed, 28 Apr 1999, Ralph Hempel wrote:
The basic idea is similar to the old optical mouse pads -- draw
horizontal and vertical lines on the playing field.  Use different colors
for the horizontal and vertical lines (easily distinguishable by the
light sensor's greyscale values).  You can then compute relative position
changes and from that direction of travel.  Obviously, the resolution you can
achieve is limited to the spacing of the lines and the accuracy of
measuring your bot's motion in between them, but it should be sufficient.
The difficulties come from distinguishing the lighter-colored line from the
fringe of the darker line, and the varying line widths depending on the
angle of travel relative to the line.  For instance, travelling parallel
to one of the axes will result in no line crossings for that axis (or
continuously being on an axis).

This brings out a VERY interesting application. Most bots have trouble
navigating a real maze because of obvious slippage problems and generally poor
resolution of sensors. What about inverting the problem and printing (using
your favorite printer) a map using grids and lines on paper and using the
light sensor in a plotter bed.

You are right about the limitations of image based maze followers, but
with you don't even need to get that complicated- any bot that can follow
a wall using touch sensors can do a maze reasonably well. Picture a blind
man walking along a wall, and when he feels the wall end, he turns until
he figures out what his options are at the intersection. We have a couple
in the lab doing it, and hopefully I'll coax an RCX to do it soon.

OTOH, the two color grid has a lot of other applications- does anyone
have any ideas on how to make one? I'm thinking of using thin
pin-striping tape from a hobby shop, but I'm open to other suggestions...

My two cents-
Luis

"They call the faithful to their knees
to hear the softly spoken magic spell:"