 Robotics / 4721
RE: A robot who knows his position (fwd)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 28 Apr 1999 22:46:05 GMT

The basic idea is similar to the old optical mouse pads -- draw
horizontal and vertical lines on the playing field.  Use different colors
for the horizontal and vertical lines (easily distinguishable by the
light sensor's greyscale values).

Just for reference: The optical mouse pads made by Mouse Systems, and
shipped with Sun workstations for a long time, used two detectors in the
mouse. One used a red LED, and the other one looked the same, but was dark.
I suspect it was an IR LED and detector. One of the detectors was for
horizontal movements, while the other detected vertical movements. Sticking
little paper balls into optical mice of unsuspecting users was always a
great joke.

I'm planning to use colors, too, for a "follow the line" vehicle that I'm
building. I don't like the simple black line that is commonly used. If you
loose it, you don't necessarily know which way to go, and you have no clue
how far you are off the line. My current plan is to use a strip that is
black on one edge, and white on the other edge, with a nice gradient fill in
between. I'll make various pieces of these strips (straight, sharp curves,
light curves etc.) with my computer and printer. The brightness reading
directly translates into steering input. The darker it gets, the more you
steer to the right. The brighter it gets, the more  you steer to the left.
At a reading of 50, go straight.

There will be some intersting experiments. If you turn off the lights in the
room, will the vehicle move a little more to the right?

The next phase will be to embedd barcodes into the strip, to tell the
vehicle about its location along its course.

Tilman