 Robotics / 3526
Re: Adder/Subtractor revisited
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 7 Feb 1999 21:57:15 GMT

David Harry wrote:

Anyway, the challenge is to build something that can run the straight
sections very fast, while optically following the tape.  The problem I
encounter when trying to build a really high-speed robot is that there's
no good way to control the speed of the motors; they're either on, or
off. etc..
Unfortunately, if the robot is geared for high running speed, even a
very brief stoppage to left or right drive power causes the robot to
jerk much too strongly to left or right,

Here's what I do and it works quite well. I have added a "partial duty cycle"
mode to my motor control system. Basically I intermitantly turn off the motor
for a very small increment of time.... • [snip]
OH! one very important point: as in the above, rather than turn OFF the motor,
FREEWHEEL it! This prevents the a jerking motion, resulting in the veering
behaviour that you experience.

I actually had already tried that, and couldn't get to work in these
particular circumstances.  I couldn't get the robot to turn off the
motor for any period briefer than 50 ms, and even that short a period
(coupled with setting the motor to "float" rather than "off") caused too
much of a jerk; a single 50-ms pulse of "float" rather than "on" turned
the robot too much at those speeds.  It's a combination of the fact
that:

1.  the robot is traveling very fast;
2.  the robot has only one light sensor;
3.  the tape is only 3/4" wide.

...Anyway, the adder-subtracter seems to solve the problem quite nicely
by gearing the steering motor way down.  The fastest I could get a robot
to follow the track using independently-driven wheels was a little over
a foot per second; the differtrans more than doubles that.

One idea I've had for implementing smooth variable-speed motor drive,
but which I haven't gotten around to trying yet, is to use a flywheel.
Do something like this:  Motor is attached both to a drive wheel and
(via a 5-to-1 gear-up) to a flywheel (the big spoked wheels from the
Mindstorms set work nicely).  Rotation of wheel, motor, and flywheel are
all locked together by the gear train; no differentials or ratcheting.
Hopefully, this will allow controlling the speed of the motor by a
variable duty cycle (as you mention), with the flywheel smoothing out
the "jerks".

I believe the MindStorms motors already are internally geared with some
sort of flywheel to smooth things out; this would just augment the
effect.