 Robotics / 3494
Re: Adder/Subtractor revisited
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 6 Feb 1999 04:09:42 GMT

That sounds very interesting. I hope to see some diagrams or photos soon...

Your approach solves the biggest problem introduced by the A-S drive, that
of insufficient torque when driving tracks. Two motors is the way to go for
tracks.

--
SeeYa !
------------

David Harry wrote in message ...
In article <36B6F795.4B9310A6@nada.kth.se>, johannes@nada.kth.se says...

My current design uses independent motors to drive
each track. The two drive gear trains are also interconnected through a • single
differential, the sole function of which is to synchronize the two sides. • Since
the additional gearing used to drive the differential is not under any • load, it
contributes negligibly to friction. The outer housing of the differential • is
connected through gearing to a LEGO rotation sensor. Each track gear train
drives one shaft of the differential. Gearing is arranged so that when both
tracks are driving in the same direction, the two differential shafts
counter-rotate, resulting in no net rotation of the outer housing, as long • as
both sides are synchronized.  A combintation of three RCX tasks monitor the
rotation sensor and dynamically adjust motor power when differential • rotation
is detected.  So far, this system is working *very* well.  As soon as I get
some decent drawings done, I'll post the mechanical design. I've invested • much
effort into optimizing the gear train design and have reached the point • where I
don't think it can be further simplified, but I'd love to be proven • wrong...