 Robotics / 3525
Re: C++ (was kernel hackers)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 7 Feb 1999 21:34:52 GMT

=>From: Luis Villa <liv@duke.edu>
=>...
=>I'm actually very interested in using C++ with the RCX. C++ is what our
=>intro CS course is taught in at Duke, and we are looking to snag some of
=>those kids for a robotics course based (tentatively) on the RIS. I had
=>been planning on using legOS, but the transition to C might be messy for
=>some, and so any opportunity to use C++ instead would be great.
=>
=>I've noticed (at least) John Tamplin, Dave Madden, and Markus Noga
=>mention C++ support of some type. Have any of you three (or anyone else)
=>come up with a solution? I'd volunteer to help, but I'm not sure how
=>useful I'll be (my knowledge of the hardware issues involved is meager at
=>best.)

Well, I think all the people you mention have C++ working on the RCX.
As John said, the trick is getting static constructors and destructors
called, and that's not particularly hard.  My development has been
stalled lately: I'm trying to invent a tasking scheme that has good
interrupt response, deterministic tasking performance, and other
realtime-OS-worthy features, without benefit of any RTOS experience.
This sort of programming might provide instructive classroom projects,
but it has little to do with robotics.  (I haven't had my RCX
connected to motors or sensors for weeks! :-)

If you just need help getting a bare C++ cross-compiler running (on
Linux, preferably) so that you can produce code that can be downloaded
and run on the RCX, I can be of some assistance, but if you're looking
for somebody who has interrupts; preemptive, priority-controllable
threading; IPC constructs; and motor and sensor code running, you'll
have to wait to hear from somebody else.

d.