 Robotics / 329
Re: Mindstorms (more than just robotics?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 7 Nov 1998 19:09:00 GMT

I personally like the programming, but, there is a MISTAKE! The MISTAKE
is, when it has a "stack" it does this: When it starts a new stack, it
does not carry on with the old one. What a mistake! But it is MUCH
better than Logo, and it is a good source of entertainment. But what a
MISTAKE it has!

Meaning that it abandons it in the middle? (I don't have Windows, so I
can't try it).

I believe the behavior is that the old stack only stops if it is the other
stack hanging off a particular sensor watcher.  But I'm not positive on
this.  And I'm not sure whether or not duplicating the sensor watcher and
splitting the left and right stack between the original and the duplicated
sensor watchers fixes things.  It might, though.

The handling of stacks and the lack of re-entrancy make it a difficult
environment for teaching programming in a logical manner (hard to debug
multi-sensor systems sensibly).

...so you think it's easier to let people walk right into
synchronisation bugs and learn the hard way?

Reentrancy can be a problem, then again, the RCX assumes a certain amount
of static state for each task, and this is why you do not see nested
subroutine calls, stacks per task, and reentrant threads.

Whether or not it's easier to learn this way or not, I don't know.

Certainly, the process of figuring out how tasks really work and why is
valuable, assuming that you don't simply give up because things don't work
as you expect them to.

-Kekoa