 Robotics / 325
Re: Mindstorms (more than just robotics?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 7 Nov 1998 16:18:28 GMT

Andrew Seel wrote:

I personally like the programming, but, there is a MISTAKE! The MISTAKE
is, when it has a "stack" it does this: When it starts a new stack, it
does not carry on with the old one. What a mistake! But it is MUCH
better than Logo, and it is a good source of entertainment. But what a
MISTAKE it has!

Meaning that it abandons it in the middle? (I don't have Windows, so I
can't try it).

Geoff Seel wrote:

The handling of stacks and the lack of re-entrancy make it a difficult
environment for teaching programming in a logical manner (hard to debug
multi-sensor systems sensibly).

...so you think it's easier to let people walk right into
synchronisation bugs and learn the hard way?

We have done some work with Logo since
he was about 8. It was fine as a way of learning to manipulate a turtle
but the handling of variables is horribly confusing (definition in a
different format to use).

Well, defintion can't look the *same* as use or you can't assign a scope
to a variable; making a definition and changing it are inherently
different ideas. So how much "different" is a problem?

stephen