 Robotics / 322
Re: Mindstorms (more than just robotics?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 7 Nov 1998 10:15:12 GMT

In message <199811062316.PAA08596@pixel.Stanford.EDU>, Kekoa Proudfoot
<kekoa@Graphics.Stanford.EDU> writes
Brian Stormont wrote:
She seemed a lot more comfortable trying to figure out design problems
with the actual lego pieces - the programming side was more of a
struggle.

I'm curious.  What does she think of the programming environment?  It she
strugging to figure out how to use it and get it to do the things she
wants?  Or is she struggling because the programming environment is limited?

I'm wondering because I have no idea how easy the programming environment
is for someone new to programming to learn and work with...

-Kekoa

Feedback from a 10-year old (entirely his own words including e-mail
shouting!)

--------------------------

I personally like the programming, but, there is a MISTAKE! The MISTAKE
is, when it has a "stack" it does this: When it starts a new stack, it
does not carry on with the old one. What a mistake! But it is MUCH
better than Logo, and it is a good source of entertainment. But what a
MISTAKE it has!

Andrew Seel

---------------------------

The handling of stacks and the lack of re-entrancy make it a difficult
environment for teaching programming in a logical manner (hard to debug
multi-sensor systems sensibly). We have done some work with Logo since
he was about 8. It was fine as a way of learning to manipulate a turtle
but the handling of variables is horribly confusing (definition in a
different format to use).

He is now persuading me to start on Java, which I use in business. The
concepts of OO appear natural to children, i.e. you tell an object to
perform an action (method) - e.g. Andrew.tidyRoom(now) - still seems to
be an implementation problem with that one!

--
Geoff Seel                              Voice:  +44 (0)181-390-0109
Financial Object Resources Ltd.         Fax:    +44 (0)870-054-7931