 Robotics / 27513
Re: Worm gear... whence the length?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.events.brickworld, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 20 Jul 2008 01:53:52 GMT

"Brian Davis" <brdavis@iusb.edu> wrote in message
OK, after struggling with precision in a lead-screw assembly for quite
some time
now, I've just got to ask because I don't know the answer and it's
bothering
me...

Can ANYBODY give me a possible good reason for the length of the worm
gear? why
oh why couldn't LEGO have made it exactly 2 units long, instead of
1-point-almost-two-units long?!? That slight slop can really complicate
things.

The problems with the worm gear that you describe are due to the fact that
it has to fit into this part in this set and others, which was designed to
accomodate the current worm gear:

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?S=8485-1

Released as early as 1995 in set 8485 and other Technic sets which came out,
there was the following new worm gearbox:

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=6588

Yes, I know about pre-loading things, gearing down, etc. - I'm just
wondering if
there is a fundamental mechanical reason why they couldn't have increased
the
pitch very very slightly and extended the worm gear very very slightly.
Wouldn't
that have worked?

What you describe isn't possible due to the fact that LEGO would have to
completely redesign and cut an existing part mold to accomodate a very
slight change to another part mold.  This simply isn't going to happen
unless it reaches it's end-of-production lifecycle, and given that it isn't
used very often in sets, it's not going to change anytime soon.

Cheers ...

Geoffrey Hyde