 Robotics / 25721
Re: So, who IS in the MDP?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2006 23:48:07 GMT

"T. Alexander Popiel" wrote:

In message:  <IvtDs2.zGp@lugnet.com>
            "Tim Byrne" <sultan@KILL-the-SPAM.locehilios.com> writes:

I have not received a "bummer email", and my address is tied to my own
domain that I run the email server for.  I don't have any email blocking
active.  I don't think there is any reason for me to be missing the email,
other than LEGO not sending one (I did get the confirmation email).  I
don't think this can simply be blamed on mail being blocked.

Is everyone forgetting that email is not a reliable transport mechanism?
Here's a small list of conditions under which mail messages can bounce or
simply vanish:

1. Transient failure of DNS causes the sending host to not know where
  to send the message.

2. Transient network failure causes connection between sending host and
  receiving host to be lost, thus losing (or corrupting) the message.

3. Crash of intermediate host in the process of forwarding the message
  causes message to be lost or corrupted.

4. Exhaustion of disk space on intermediate or receiving host prevents
  message from being stored.

5. Disk failure on intermediate host causes all queued messages to be
  lost.

6. Intermediate host sees inordinate quantity of messages coming from
  one source and starts rejecting them to curb a possible runaway
  process.

7. DNS server sees inordinate number of queries coming from one source
  and starts giving "service unavailable" responses to curb a possible
  runaway process.

The list goes on and on, and I've barely  those measures specifically
designed to throw away messages (in order to curb system abuse).  The
situation is made worse by the fact that some popular mail agents do
not queue and retry for those messages that don't succeed immediately.

It's entirely possible that LEGO tried to send out emails to all
applicants, but because of the sheer volume of messages going out at
once, some were lost.

- Alex

It is true that email is not a "foolproof" way of communicating, but it is not
as fallible as you portray.  And 9000 is far from "high volume" email.  At least
if you're talking about a company communicating with its customers.  I work for
a company that does far higher volumes of email.  In general, even if a
"responsive block" is put into place because of high volume, a blocking mail
server will return bounce messages.  And in general, any failures along an
email's journey will result in bounce messages to the sender.  There's no reason
why LEGO wouldn't capture these bounces and act appropriately (unless they just
don't care if they get received).  I also think it's odd that more readers of
this newsgroup haven't mentioned they got a "bummer" email.  I know I read about
someone getting an email in a blog, but to date I don't think anyone on this
newsgroup has confirmed they got one.  I think it’s far more plausible that LEGO
didn't send the messages, or only sent them to a small subset of people, rather
than some mysterious large email outage affecting everyone.

-Tim