 Robotics / 25720
Re: NXT Bot Idea - Audio Tracking
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2006 23:09:52 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Ed Manlove wrote:

a bird finder/tracker.  The bot could simply rotate towards
the direction of the sound.

   Interesting, although where I live I have a sneaking suspicion the NXT would
try to home in on every passing car and truck. But the NXT could be used to
track my kids (since I can't do that myself anyway).

And taking the idea further you could do an educational
experiment using two microphones and asking the question(s)...

Why do we have two ears and not one? How does having two
ears allow us to better determine the source of a sound?

   Well, let's see, the distance between my ears is about 0.3 meters, and the
speed of sound is close to 300 m/s. So a best-case time-delay is arund a 0.001
seconds, or one millisecond. You couldn't do that with the RCX and standard
firmware (sensor reads were only about once every 3 ms), so the question is how
much faster the NXT firmware might be. 'Course, you could always make the
spacing between the sensors bigger I guess.

--
Brian Davis