 Robotics / 25309
  Re: How many people signed up for the NXT Developer's Program?

(...) More powerful than what? (18 years ago, 18-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: How many people signed up for the NXT Developer's Program?

(...) Good question... My understanding is that something like LabView, which has been used by FLL and others for some time now, is being shipped with NXT. If there are other choices you can talk about, please do! I'm also *very* interested in (...) (18 years ago, 18-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: How many people signed up for the NXT Developer's Program?

(...) Interesting that nobody picked up on this from the LEGO site: (URL) to the MINDSTORMS Education NXT software, Bluetooth also enables the computer to communicate to several NXT devices at the same time." This tends to imply that the retail (...) (18 years ago, 18-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: How many people signed up for the NXT Developer's Program?

--- Ross Crawford <ross.{mylastname}@gmail.com> wrote: <SNIP> (...) It may ship with more features, but I'm betting that AFOLs have it figured out before the NXT sets are on backorder ... around Aug 20th or so. (18 years ago, 18-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: How many people signed up for the NXT Developer's Program?

(...) The only discernable difference so far can be gleanned from the published announcements of the retail and educational versions; Rechargeable battery pack not mentioned as available for retail. Legacy motor and sensor connecting wire also not (...) (18 years ago, 18-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

"John Barnes" <barnes@sensors.com> wrote in message news:ItAMx5.19AL@lugnet.com... (...) I assume The NXT will use 6 - 1.5v alakline batteries for a 9v system. Maybe the rechargable pack is a 9.6v nicd or nimh (preferrably). I haven't studied the (...) (18 years ago, 18-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: How many people signed up for the NXT Developer's Program?

(...) Especially when they are subcutaneous with explosive anti-tamper devices! :) (18 years ago, 18-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: How many people signed up for the NXT Developer's Program?

(...) No problem, John - we'll just reverse-engineer that as well! Here, just hold still... just a minute, I've almost got it... >BOOM<. oops. hehe. Um, anbody want to step up for the next attempt? This time I'll use something other than a brick (...) (18 years ago, 18-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: How many people signed up for the NXT Developer's Program?

(...) I'm wondering what it means to be "something like LabView". Robolab is something like LabView, but it isn't LabView. It is a GUI application written in G running in the LabView runtime engine. LabView itself (i.e., the editor and the (...) (18 years ago, 18-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: How many people signed up for the NXT Developer's Program?

Hi Ross, (...) I'm sure third-party environments won't have this limitation. More interesting is whether a NXT Brick can be a Bluetooth master, so that NXTs can talk with each other without a host, form networks and swarm all over the place :-) (...) (18 years ago, 18-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: How many people signed up for the NXT Developer's Program?

(...) As a software engineer, I'd have to ask why LEGO would choose to write (and support) two versions of the software. And, how accurate are the marketing specs (that may have been written six or eight months ago) for a product that may still be (...) (18 years ago, 18-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: How many people signed up for the NXT Developer's Program?

(...) Well, THAT sure stinks. What's the deal on that? Have we hobbyists become second class LEGO citizens to the educational market? Why even bother to have two different release trails? LEGO, what's up with that? DLC (18 years ago, 18-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: How many people signed up for the NXT Developer's Program?

(...) It's probably a software cost issue. National Instrument would want more money for the more capable version of the software. (18 years ago, 18-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: How many people signed up for the NXT Developer's Program?

(...) It depends on how rich the environment. If they are only talking specifically about getting us a crippled language then I would agree, but if NXT is really going to be engaging then in typical LEGO fashion they might present challenges and (...) (18 years ago, 18-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: How many people signed up for the NXT Developer's Program?

(...) I would bet good money that more hobbyists will want to have multiple NXT's talking to each other than educationalists. I can see LegOS (or something similar in concept) implementing bluetooth drivers. I can't see myself using Lego software on (...) (18 years ago, 19-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: How many people signed up for the NXT Developer's Program?

(...) I can, for at least two reasons: (a) It will likely exist at ship-time. I don't know that the same can be said of a BrickOS port (or a NQC port, which is actually where I'd like to go). (b) The LEGO software may be able to do a lot of things, (...) (18 years ago, 19-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: How many people signed up for the NXT Developer's Program?

(...) I use Linux on all my PC's - the Lego software won't even run - so *FOR SURE* I won't be using the Lego software. I doubt it'll be very hard to figure out how to get gcc to compile for the NXT...but if nobody else has it figured out by then, (...) (18 years ago, 19-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: How many people signed up for the NXT Developer's Program?

(...) Ah, OK - you're correct, the unavalibility of a supported environment *IS* a very good reason :-). Actually, I was in a similar situation with getting into Mindstorms initally, as all I had was a Mac. Then, somebody mentioned there was a (...) (18 years ago, 19-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: How many people signed up for the NXT Developer's Program?

(...) actually it can (as had to be expected), according to the press release for the developer program. "Developers will be encouraged to let their imaginations run wild, building robots that communicate with each other or remote devices through (...) (18 years ago, 21-Jan-06, to lugnet.robotics)