 Robotics / 24424
Re: New technique: three position piston control
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 2 Oct 2005 15:31:58 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Sigurd van Strakenburg wrote:

I already have a paper design for a six legged walker with three leg groups using forward/mid/back leg sweeps (what a surprise!) It walks using a 9 step sequence. It only uses mid-stop on expansion, but not on contraction.

Please let me know what you think.

Kev

6 legs and 3 leg groups is a great idea!!

Interesting stuff! Should make walkers move more smoothly, with the possibility of more groups of legs. The trick will then be reversing all the groups, since it was easier with just two, using two polarity reversers.

I have a centre-stop mechanism for pneumatic steering for a JCB. It’s not part of an automatic system though, since I don’t yet have an application for that.

Does your centre stop cylinder stop accurately in the same place every time, even under different pressure conditions? I thought if you put a lot of source pressure into the cylinder it might overshoot the mid-point, whereas with low pressure it would creep up to it. Accurate repeatable positioning is one of the challenges of this scheme.

The center stop is not the same spot when expanding vs. decoration I did not try it at different pressures. I just pumped a hand pump as fast as I could to make the sequencer go.

I’ve not seen it overshoot the mid point.

I’ve think about overshooting the mid point and i don’t know sure but i think it will overshoot the mid point whan you link them in serie isn’t it?... and when you build it into a walking beast i think it whil need 2 cilinders don’t you?... and then you also can link those 2 to make a 3 position joint

I tried to make a sequencer using two mid-stop piston configurations, and it didn’t work out on paper (at least the cases I tried.)

Hmmm...... I think that with a walker, you probably need to add one more switch to instrument full expansion/contraction. Four switches is typically the limit for one medium piston. Things operate pretty slowly with five switches on one piston, because of the force required to flip the switches vs. the force created by the piston. At high pressures a single piston can flip more than four switches, but it talkes a long time to build the pressure suficiently high.

Why do you think you will need two pistons for mid-stop. The pistons that run the OR gates to get you out of mid-stop combined with the the switches needed for instrumentation, might push you to two pistons.

Is this what you were thinking?

Most certainly you can connect two pistons together to create mit-stop. You have four possible combinations of expand/contract for the two pistons:

Piston1 Piston2 contract contract shortest contract expand mid expand contract mid expand expand longest

The size of the combined pistons is twice as large as the single mid-stop configuration.

   sigurd

Kevin