 Technic / 14737
Re: New technique: Cascaded Trinary Pneumatics (aka mid-stop)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 14 Oct 2005 22:31:07 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Mark Bellis wrote:

<snip>

I've taken some photos and will post them as soon as they come back from the
developers.  They will include the trinary system in all positions, as well as
the Octopus Arm logic that I mentioned earlier.  There will also be my earliest
use of my trinary actuation mechanism and a pressure limiter (I'm sure quite a
few people have their own versions of the latter).

I took the actuation stage and the steering stage from my earlier work and added
a combination of the two in the middle to make two cascading stages.

I hope this will be useful for your walkers Kev.  It's different from the way
you were doing it.  I have used opposing pistons for more power, and also extra
frame members in tension to improve strength.

The mechanism works quite well but I will keep improving it, probably by beefing
up the power to improve reliability (with apologies to vegetarians :-) ).  This
might involve adding more cylinders to ensure that the mechanism reliably
reaches its maximum distance from the centre position in both directions.  The
switch connections and the actuation mechanism that keeps the switch levers
exactly the right distance apart are my own unique designs, which work well.

I remember how it took quite a while to work out exactly how far apart the
switch levers needed to be and which parts to use to achieve that distance.

I wish my digital camera would arrive so that I could speed up posting!

Mark

Mark,

  Any news on this effort?  I'm intrigued by the thought of another mid-stop
mechanism.

Kev