 Robotics / 24271
  Re: A LEGO double-throw switch?

(...) My bad! I've not used them much, but when I thought about how they were designed, I realized you are right. (...) This means gears, but gears mean play. One should be able to cancel the play by using a total of four gears. One gear for each (...) (19 years ago, 23-Aug-05, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: A LEGO double-throw switch?

(...) Actually, I am not convinced it means gears. One of the switches could be mounted with a 45 degree tilt. This would remove the issue of play in the gears. You could also link the handle holes of the polarity switches with a solid piece (as (...) (19 years ago, 23-Aug-05, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: A LEGO double-throw switch?

(...) Sure! Some assembly required! (URL) (...) Kev (19 years ago, 23-Aug-05, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: A LEGO double-throw switch?

(...) Linking via the handles would cause problems. First, there is a great deal of friction added to the system when an axle is in that hole. Second, I think the proposed method requires the switches to continue rotating the same direction. Steve (19 years ago, 23-Aug-05, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: A LEGO double-throw switch?

(...) So - tilting one of the switches is probably the best approach. But I want to know where Brian Davis is. He started this blasted discussion :) And, Kevin, should I just send you my mailing address so you send me the parts? :) (BTW - it didn't (...) (19 years ago, 23-Aug-05, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: A LEGO double-throw switch?

(...) I was assuming that handles would not be used, because the switches would have to be "reset" if handles were used. Yes, the proposed solution would require one way rotation, but I assume that this would be simply done given the axle going (...) (19 years ago, 23-Aug-05, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: A LEGO double-throw switch?

(...) I'm pretty sure you can download the parts here: (URL) (19 years ago, 23-Aug-05, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: A LEGO double-throw switch?

(...) Well, given that technic is quantized down to stud or half stud sizes, the solution may not be obvious. The easiest angles to create are due to 3-4-5 triangles. Most of the bent liftarms are bent based on those angles. The tri-blade liftarms (...) (19 years ago, 24-Aug-05, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: A LEGO double-throw switch?

(...) Actually, I was working on this very thing (45 degree angles) for a new GBC module over the weekend. (you remember GBC, don't you? You know, the creature that wouldn't die :) - thanks Steve for such a wonderful way to waste all my free time :) (...) (19 years ago, 24-Aug-05, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: A LEGO double-throw switch?

(...) I'm here - just amazed at the chaos I kicked up :-). Incidently, I've grown to hate those tank tread belts (those, originally, were going to be the conveyor, but they are just too stiff). I've now got more ideas running around in my head as to (...) (19 years ago, 24-Aug-05, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: A LEGO double-throw switch?

(...) Or, connect it to a technic turntable, so you can rotate it to any angle you want. ROSCO (19 years ago, 24-Aug-05, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: A LEGO double-throw switch?

(...) Which you can make rigid by merely using a rack or worm gear, and depending on space - some additional gears to displace the locking mechanism, however there may still be some play in that. OrionRobots (19 years ago, 25-Aug-05, to lugnet.robotics)

  FischerTechnik

late last night I stumbled onto their website: (URL) vaguely remember playing with a set when I was maybe 10 yrs old. They seem to be trying to compete with Mindstorms lately, especially in the educational market. Does anyone have a set, and/or have (...) (19 years ago, 26-Aug-05, to lugnet.robotics)

  RE: FischerTechnik

Have you seen the new Vex robotics stuff from Radio Shack? I think that is more of a competitor to mindstorms (several people on this list now have some experience with that). Larrry Whitman larry.whitman@wichita.edu (...) (19 years ago, 26-Aug-05, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: FischerTechnik

(...) Try here: (URL) (19 years ago, 27-Aug-05, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: FischerTechnik

(...) I don't see them as competitors. Here they are amicably side by side: (URL) LEGO, FT, and now Vex. They each have their own strengths and weaknesses. I use them all :) CS (19 years ago, 28-Aug-05, to lugnet.robotics, FTX)