 Robotics / 23736
  Re: Robolab as a tool for teaching programming

John, You make some good points regarding Robolab but I'll confess at the outset here that I'm a big fan of Robolab. After having used Robolab with my FLL teams the past two years I can say that it is a powerful tool that works well for teaching (...) (19 years ago, 17-Mar-05, to lugnet.robotics, FTX)

  Re: Robolab as a tool for teaching programming

Hi Steve, (...) all the programs you have are well-structured, not spaghetti-code as one would expect for flowcharts at least some of the time. I.e. loops and conditions are properly nested, there are no jumps to some completely different place. Is (...) (19 years ago, 18-Mar-05, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Robolab as a tool for teaching programming

(...) None of the 4th and 5th grade students I have had an opportunity to know would find NQC to be too much for them. I'm curious how you came to the conclusion that it would be "too much" for the kids on your team to understand or use. (...) Could (...) (19 years ago, 18-Mar-05, to lugnet.robotics, FTX)

  Re: Robolab as a tool for teaching programming

(...) I do not believe Robolab enforces any structure aside from a sequence of connected icons. It is up to the programmer to position things nicely in order to show structure. Robolab does have tools to align icons and wires. The programs on (...) (19 years ago, 18-Mar-05, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Robolab as a tool for teaching programming

Hi John, (...) I find these extremely misleading, in a flowchart you should rather use the lines to express control flow. (...) It looks like you will have the same label (land icon color) twice in this case, as subVI a is just a macro. However, a (...) (19 years ago, 19-Mar-05, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Robolab as a tool for teaching programming

Can someone create a lugnet robotics language advocation group or something? I understand some of you want to debate this, but many are bored of hearing it. I am a programmer with a lot of skill and experience, in fact outside of my robotics, it is (...) (19 years ago, 19-Mar-05, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Robolab as a tool for teaching programming

This thread is getting a bit long so in the interest of brevity I'm combining my replies to several posts in this one message. (...) Thanks for the kind words, Juergen. This structure is not imposed by Robolab but I'm a programmer by trade so I try (...) (19 years ago, 19-Mar-05, to lugnet.robotics, FTX)