 Robotics / 23736
Re: Robolab as a tool for teaching programming
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 17 Mar 2005 16:23:14 GMT

John,

You make some good points regarding Robolab but I’ll confess at the outset here that I’m a big fan of Robolab. After having used Robolab with my FLL teams the past two years I can say that it is a powerful tool that works well for teaching general programming topics. The kids on my team are 4th and 5th graders and NQC would be too much for all but one or two of them. Robolab is a good compromise and allows everyone to focus on higher level requirements, which for the ages I’m working with is a good thing.

Here’s an example of how to do nested loops:

I’ve shown the inner loop on a slightly lower horizontal line. This took me about a minute to write and the kids on my team could also write this in less than five minutes. The same could not be said for the lines of code in your NQC version.

I’m not advocating Robolab for all RCX programming tasks. It works well for what I use it for: teaching programming to kids. NQC would be more appropriate for 7th graders and up in my opinion, but even they could benefit from using Robolab.

If anyone wants to see more sample Robolab programs I have some posted on the web site I maintain for the robotics program at my son’s school: www.haciendarobotics.com.

Steve