 Robotics / 23747
Re: Robolab as a tool for teaching programming
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 18 Mar 2005 21:37:14 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Steve Dakin wrote:
   The kids on my team are 4th and 5th graders and NQC would be too much for all but one or two of them.

None of the 4th and 5th grade students I have had an opportunity to know would find NQC to be too much for them. I’m curious how you came to the conclusion that it would be “too much” for the kids on your team to understand or use.

   Here’s an example of how to do nested loops:

I’ve shown the inner loop on a slightly lower horizontal line.

Could you send me a copy of the LASM generated by Robolab based on your example above? Your example is the very first I have seen after extensive searching on the internet that suggests that you are allowed to nest loops in Robolab. Just now I found one other example using Ultimate Robolab with nested loops (but I don’t know if that example is specific to Ultimate Robolab or not).

   This took me about a minute to write and the kids on my team could also write this in less than five minutes. The same could not be said for the lines of code in your NQC version.

The same absolutely could be said for the lines of code in my NQC version. It might have taken me 30 second at most to write it. It would take a child with typing skills about the same amount of time. What would make you say that the kids on your team could not write that code in under 5 minutes using NQC?

John Hansen