 Robotics / 23756
Re: Robolab as a tool for teaching programming
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 19 Mar 2005 17:32:44 GMT

This thread is getting a bit long so in the interest of brevity I’m combining my replies to several posts in this one message.

Juergen Stuber juergen@jstuber.&antispam&net wrote:

   all the programs you have are well-structured, not spaghetti-code as one would expect for flowcharts at least some of the time. I.e. loops and conditions are properly nested, there are no jumps to some completely different place.

Is this structure enforced by Robolab?

Thanks for the kind words, Juergen. This structure is not imposed by Robolab but I’m a programmer by trade so I try to teach that to the kids on my teams.

John Hansen afanofosc@%spamcake%comcast.net wrote:

   http://www.haciendarobotics.com/lessons/programming/wallbumper/index.html

This page shows how to create a subVI that contains a jump and land icon. According to the unofficial FLL FAQ you cannot reuse that subVI in your program or bad things will happen.

Hmmm, all of the programs on the site, with the exception of the nested loop example I posted for the purpose of this discussion are from actual exercises or FLL solutions that the kids on my team did. We didn’t notice any problems with the subVI you pointed out but it’s possible that there is a problem there and we misattributed it to something else. Something for me to look into - thanks for the head’s up.

   None of the 4th and 5th grade students I have had an opportunity to know would find NQC to be too much for them. I’m curious how you came to the conclusion that it would be “too much” for the kids on your team to understand or use.

I’d love to invite you to one of our meetings. I work hard to keep everyone focused and maybe it’s just me but our meetings tend to get a bit crazy if the kids detect that it’s getting too “school-like.” I know all kids are different and some have higher focus levels. It sounds like your group is better in this area than mine have been.

   Could you send me a copy of the LASM generated by Robolab based on your example above?

Sorry, I don’t know how to do that. Email me directions on how to do it and I’ll be happy to send it to you.

   Your example is the very first I have seen after extensive searching on the internet that suggests that you are allowed to nest loops in Robolab.

More compliments ... I think. :-)

   Just now I found one other example using Ultimate Robolab with nested loops (but I don’t know if that example is specific to Ultimate Robolab or not).

I downloaded the program to my RCX and ran it - it did exactly what I expected it to. The different sounds were emmitted the proper number of times each. I’m using Robolab 2.5.4 so it’s possible that this is something they’ve fixed in the latest release, but I cannot say if this ever was a problem. Do you have a reference that indicates you are not able to use nested loops in Robolab or are you inferring that from the lack of examples showing that you can?

Steve