 Robotics / 23548
Re: GBC does nothing for me
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 27 Feb 2005 22:20:29 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Steve Baker <sjbaker1@airmail.net> wrote:
Mark Bellis wrote:
Steve Lane wrote: [Ed]
So what I thought I'd do is to construct a fantasy specification of an
alternative to GBC. Somthing diametrically opposed to gbc.

~ GBC is
~ So the alternative is

~ Random (balls roll around)
~ Linear

~ Repetative (same action over again)
~ Random (note 1)

~ balls
~ blocks (2x2)

~ Fast
~ Slow

~ Imprecise
~ Precise

~ Noisy
~ Quiet

~ Cheap
~ Expensive (Lots of RCX's)

But these are all things that makes GBC ideal for it's application
as a mass-appeal event.

* Random not linear...
   Allowing laxity over ball arrival times allows for more
   variety in the way mechanisms work - which gives a much
   higher chance that 100 machines made by 50 people who never
   met before will actually play together.

* Repetitive not random...
   If you are running this at a show, people are not going to
   stand around for hours waiting for something interesting to
   happen.  A basically repetitive machine won't get boring because
   people aren't going to be standing there watching for hours on
   end - at most, they'll watch each module for a few tens of seconds
   and move on.  If there is something a module does that isn't aparrent
   in just a few seconds of viewing, it's wasted effort from a showmanship
   perspective.  Also, if it's repetitive, you'll find bugs in it more
   easily.  With a random machine, it could run OK during testing
   then fail repeatedly and annoyingly throughout the actual show because
   it's doing something random that you hadn't thought of.

* Balls not blocks...
   Balls can be grasped and slid around - but they also roll.  Blocks
   can slide and be picked up - but they aren't very 'animate' by
   themselves.  Also, the rotational symmetry of balls make them
   MUCH easier to deal with.

* Fast not slow...
   Makes it more visually appealing.

* Imprecise not precise...
   That's necessary in order that a bunch of machines made to simple
   specifications will work together.

* Noisy not Quiet...
   Again - it makes a better demonstration - and it allows for more
   variety.  I *can* make a machine that moves the balls around
   noiselessly - but if I want to throw them around, I can.  More
   variety equals good.

* Cheap not Expensive...
   Better because more people can participate - and because (again),
   it gives you more variety.  I can make a simple, but elegant machine
   that runs off a battery box and one motor - or something fiendishly
   complex with half a dozen cooperative RCX's and piles of motors and
   sensors.  This allows a technics neophyte with just a couple of
   technics sets to participate.

All of the decisions the GBC enforces make for more participation and
more audience appreciation.  That's important for a big show that the
general public can come to and anyone can contribute a module to.

Doing things the way you suggest makes for an elitist system that very
few people would contribute too - that would be hard to get running
reliably and which would be much less exciting to look at.

That doesn't mean that your idea is 'wrong' - it's just wrong for a
big public show.

Your reply, with quotes attributed to me, contained none of my words!  These
were Steve Lane's suggestions.  Please take care when quoting others.  I merely
build something that fits a few of the contrary suggestions, simply because
building pneumatic robots is one of my niches.

As I said before, I have nothing against GBC and have experimented with it
myself.  In fact I was waiting for years for someone to do it, since it is such
an obvious thing to do with Lego robots.  I have seen how GBC is good for team
participation and exhibition.  This raises the same problem as with train shows
- you must never let the shows overtake the enjoyment of the hobby for what it
is.  I have enough trouble with self-set 6-month deadlines for my own train
layout, let alone group-set deadlines for building modules that will work with
others' contructions!  I firmly believe in keeping my promises, so I don't take
on any deadlines unless I am certain to achieve them.

If you look at my Brickshelf:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=mbellis
you will see that I am the sort of person who likes to set their own standards
:-)  Trains to an almost-unique scale, for instance.

Mark