 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 13493
Re: GBC does nothing for me
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 27 Feb 2005 03:24:12 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Steve Lane wrote:
   This whole GBC hasn’t really inspired me at all. But thats what’s so good about Lugnet, differing opinions are, if anything, encouraged. Theirs nothing wrong with GBC, but I’ve found the few posts offering alternatives far more intriguing, particulary the pallet idea. The duck constructor was also, neat.

So what I thought I’d do is to construct a fantasy specification of an alternative to GBC. Somthing diametrically opposed to gbc.

One of the things you forgot to mention is that GBC is accessible and scalable for participants:

-A GBC is endlessly enjoyable with one module, two modules or fifteen modules. This is a low risk type of event for people to work on, it doesn’t depend on a minimum number of people to make for an enjoyable display.

-GBC’s most powerful feature is that everyone from kids to adults can participate and enjoy. It spreads from highly technical to highly creative and can bring people from other parts of the “Lego community” who may not be necessarily Technic or MS oriented to join in.

   Anyway this post is just a bit of fun, but if anyone has opinions , I’d be interested to read them.

One of the projects I think Rob Stehlik, Iain Hendry and I were interested in is “manufacturing” or “Assembly”, ie a giant version of DuckPro. It’s been done at Legoworld and by others, but it’s something we’re intrigued by. The problem is that it’s large and complex, requires a lot of expertise and dedication and a lot of coordination. I don’t think I can even make anything working in a “assembly” project, but I’d certainly want to try.

Calum