 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 13494
Re: GBC does nothing for me
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 27 Feb 2005 03:52:28 GMT

"Calum Tsang" <tsangc@mie.utoronto.ca> wrote in message

One of the projects I think Rob Stehlik, Iain Hendry and I were interested
in is
"manufacturing" or "Assembly", ie a giant version of DuckPro.  It's been
done at
Legoworld and by others, but it's something we're intrigued by.  The
problem is
that it's large and complex, requires a lot of expertise and dedication
and a
lot of coordination.  I don't think I can even make anything working in a
"assembly" project, but I'd certainly want to try.

One thing I am interested in is building and designing a robot or a
electrically driven mechanism that can sort the different sizes of bricks
from each other.  Sound simple?  Not really, if you want to dump unsorted
bricks into a hopper and then have them feed to something that does the
measuring and sorting of them.  It probably would be good if I can get some
rotation sensors, and figure out a way for the sorting mechanism to
determine brick size, but the big problem I have at the moment is coming up
with an input hopper assembly that can't get jammed up.

The PnP robot Mark Bellis mentioned in his post is intriguing, but the
bricks are already aligned and stacked.  What I want is to advance to the
next step, IE make a robot - or a feeder to a robot - that can do that all
by itself.

Ideally, it should even be able to handle bricks that have been snapped
together, but that would probably be beyond the capabilities of LEGO grip
power to pull apart.  It might be able to pull apart loosely gripping
bricks - I'm not sure, but I'm pretty certain it wouldn't be able to
disassemble bricks firmly stacked together without some help.

Cheers ...

Geoffrey Hyde