 Robotics / 23412
Re: A query to GBC members, module builders, and technic model builders.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 28 Jan 2005 01:35:44 GMT

This is getting a bit long, so you might have to read

--- Geoffrey Hyde <g.hyde@bigpond.net.au> wrote:
Do you find any situations where you have to space
the gears out so the
chain fits tightly and snugly instead of slackening
and introducing chain
backlash?  One problem I did encounter with chain
elements in particular was
their tendency to slacken off unless you found the
right combination of
distance and gearing to put them at.

At times, the chain slackening is a desirable effect,
and when it is not, an idler gear takes up the slack
giving the chain a firm fit for use in both directions
of travel, however, I have experienced what you are
talking about and eliminated it with simple redsigns.

That sounds like a good start, of course by buying
extra packs one could
extend the treads as needed.  As for the price range
I agree fully, but it
may come down in the end to what price LEGO can
manufacture and sell them
for.

Well, hopefully LEGO will see some value in producing
specialty parts/packs for AFOL. At least AFOL have the
money to spend!

Well, I think if you just put an axle into the
micromotor drive element, and
join it together with the standard chain and gear
elements, you can already
achieve that effect.  I don't see any need for 3rd
party manufacturing yet.
As for the servo motors, yes that would be a nice
idea, perhaps LEGO can
build their own design up, or adapt a pre-existing
design to suit their
needs.

The difficulty with servo motors, though, is that
they're going to need a
whole lot of on/off pulses as servo motors by their
definition do tend to
move one step or part of rotational cycle at a time.
I also understand
there are models out there that come with inbuilt
position and rotational
sensors.

The reason for using a servo is that it adds
positional accuracy and strength that would take huge
amounts of LEGO pieces to immitate, not to mention the
size/space it would require. 44 oz/in of torque is
alot for a LEGO creation, and you can't beat the small
size of a servo motor. Yes, servo motors require
continuous stream of pulses, but then turning a
regular LEGO motor requires continuous output as well.
Mindsensors.com has an add-on that gives this
capability but then the servo is not easily compatible
with LEGO parts. I would like to see LEGO servos.

I know one can with the proper ratio of chain links
to gears, introduce gear
reduction with chain elements, by making them drive
different sized gears.
I'm not sure of the exact ratios, but I think one
could drive a 24-tooth to
a 40-tooth gear without much trouble.  However, I do
believe there is a
limit to what gear reduction is possible, as the
chain will always drive the
same amount of gear ratio based on the size
differences.

The chain only eliminates the need for the gears to
mesh with one another. The gear ratio is the same as
if the gears were meshed together without the chain.

Cheers