 Robotics / 23406
Re: A query to GBC members, module builders, and technic model builders.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 27 Jan 2005 12:32:45 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Geoffrey Hyde wrote:

I'd like to know how much would you use
of each type on average?

   I've had uses for the chain links on many occassions, particularly for making
quick "proof of concept" gear systems (don't have to worry about spacing). The
tread links I've actually never used in bulk until the GBC (but I don't build
tracked vehicles much either - almost exclusively functional robots).
   As to amounts, the chain links (108 to a pack, $10 US) are about right - I
certainly use more, but as to a "functional" number, that's about the perfect
quantity. The treads, for most applications, do need more than 36 - perhaps
packs of 108 again would be good. *But*, then, what would be the price? I
suspect these are packaged around a price point, not a "useful quantity".

The reason I'm asking is I'd like to get some comments
on the feasibility of asking LEGO to return these
much-needed pieces to Technic Acessory packs

   The question is how much of this (before the possible GBC rush) does an
outlet like Pitsco sell. It's not that there's not a demand, or that there's no
supply, but it may be a small enough market that it's not worth the inventory
issues at a S@H level.

I'd also like comments on whether they could be
included with particular types of gear wheel and axle,

   No. I don't want to pay for extra parts I don't want, and they work great
with the standard spur gears.

improved in some way to make them do their intended
function better...

   There's always been discussion of how easily they can part under a high load
(in other words, it would be "nice" if they held together better, although
really they're pretty good IMO). I really *really* doubt this is feasible
(perhaps from an engineering standpoint, but not from a economic one).

$10 for 36 seems quite expensive.

   Yep. But I'm not sure how much cheaper they would be when removed from the
Educational pipeline.

perhaps even a transparent link color could be
used.

   Really doubtful. The chain and tread links use a different plastic (I'm not
even sure it's ABS - anyone know?) and are softer. The transparent plastic used
(again, is this ABS or something slightly different) is *stiffer* than the
standard.

--
Brian Davis