 Robotics / 23410
Re: A query to GBC members, module builders, and technic model builders.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 28 Jan 2005 00:04:46 GMT

"Mr S" <lego-robotics@crynwr.com> wrote in message
--- Geoffrey Hyde <g.hyde@bigpond.net.au> wrote:
I've seen a lot of usage of the Technic Link Chain
and Technic Link Tread in
your models, and for those of you who use them, I'd
like to know how much
would you use of each type on average?

I use the Technic chain to take the backlash out of
gear trains, and to create gear trains in combinations
that are not possible using only gears (due to spacing
of the gears on beams etc.) Where one chain is not
strong enough, clever designs allow for two chains. I
have need for the creations to be very strong. The
chains allow you to create drive mechanisms that
simply are not possible with gears alone, such as
across a distance without the middle gears and the
backlash they introduce, or with gears spaced in ways
that do not allow for gears to mesh. (inclusion of
rotation sensors to my drive train was simplified by
the use of chain links as the rotation sensor did not
have to be close to or part of the drive train)

Do you find any situations where you have to space the gears out so the
chain fits tightly and snugly instead of slackening and introducing chain
backlash?  One problem I did encounter with chain elements in particular was
their tendency to slacken off unless you found the right combination of
distance and gearing to put them at.

The reason I'm asking is I'd like to get some
comments on the feasibility of
asking LEGO to return these much-needed pieces to
Technic Acessory packs so
people can buy them, and I'd like to find out what
ideal quantities people
would like to see them available in.

I'd like to see them available in quantities that
equate to the length of the tractor treads that come
in Mindstorms kits. (about 10 inches) That way you get
a reasonable length, and can easily purchase in that
quantity. I would buy a bucket full if the chain links
were in the under 5 cent per link range (20+ for $1
USD), and/or the conveyor links were in the under 16
cent per link range (7+ for $1 USD).

That sounds like a good start, of course by buying extra packs one could
extend the treads as needed.  As for the price range I agree fully, but it
may come down in the end to what price LEGO can manufacture and sell them
for.

I'd also like
comments on whether they
could be included with particular types of gear
wheel and axle, improved in
some way to make them do their intended function
better, and anything else I
may not have thought of.

I would like to see specialty packs of parts. I don't
know what the value of manufacture cost vs. sales
would be, but if the chain link packs came with a 16
and 24 gears that are specially made to mount to
standard or mini/micro servo output shafts, it would
allow for easy inclusion of precision movements to
LEGO creations. Perhaps that is just better for 3rd
party? I'd sure use them. I know servo motors are not
LEGO, but I'd like to see LEGO servo motors too!

Well, I think if you just put an axle into the micromotor drive element, and
join it together with the standard chain and gear elements, you can already
achieve that effect.  I don't see any need for 3rd party manufacturing yet.
As for the servo motors, yes that would be a nice idea, perhaps LEGO can
build their own design up, or adapt a pre-existing design to suit their
needs.

The difficulty with servo motors, though, is that they're going to need a
whole lot of on/off pulses as servo motors by their definition do tend to
move one step or part of rotational cycle at a time.  I also understand
there are models out there that come with inbuilt position and rotational
sensors.

It might also be possible for LEGO to manufacture
add-on pieces that clip to the chain crossbars of one
or more links for creating things like the GBC ball
elevators etc. The chain links and treads are already
a bit fiddly, so I don't think this would necessarily
complicate the use of the chain parts.

It'd certainly be interesting to see what molds they can adapt or cut to
match properly with a 1x4 plate base sized footprint.  As has been said
elsewhere in this thread, some way of improving the gripping power would be
nice.  If they could be made to fairly easily hold onto a shrunken bucket
piece of some design I think something would definitely be possible.

As I said, using chain, (one, maybe two per drive
train) removes the backlash seen when using gears
only. I have used a combination of Technic chain links
with the conveyor belt links to create a linear
movement along the flat side of the chain movement.
Much like the GBC conveyors but with a movement of
backwards and forwards to produce a linear movement
overall by attaching bricks to the conveyor links.

I know one can with the proper ratio of chain links to gears, introduce gear
reduction with chain elements, by making them drive different sized gears.
I'm not sure of the exact ratios, but I think one could drive a 24-tooth to
a 40-tooth gear without much trouble.  However, I do believe there is a
limit to what gear reduction is possible, as the chain will always drive the
same amount of gear ratio based on the size differences.

I know these are currently available as educational
spares packs, but the
quantity in particular of the Technic Link Tread
concerns me, people do like
to make tracked vehicles and $10 for 36 seems quite
expensive.  I'd also
like to know if people would like to see the
aforementioned types of links
in a color other than black.  I would say a bright
color, like blue or
yellow would be good, or perhaps even a transparent
link color could be
used.

Black is fine for me. Axles are black (in my
inventory) so black chain works fine.

Yeah, there is a plethora of colors available though, and I was wondering to
myself if anyone thought they'd seen another color they'd like to see the
chain links in.  I do appreciate the comments though, as it would be nice to
see there is demand in another color for them.

So if you build in Technic, and use or want to use
these, then I'd like to
hear your comments so they can be put together in a
request for LEGO to make
them available as Technic Accessory packs, and
hopefully with new
assortments and colors.

I'd like to see specialty drive chain packs, for both
chain and tread links, and that hopefully include
things like the gears that mount to servo motor output
shafts. Perhaps an easy to use spring loaded idler
gear that is one beam width wide.

That would be nice, we do have freewheeling gears - the ones used in stuff
like the 8880 and 8480 gear drives, and a problem with them is one needs
about 3-4 studs of width to accomodate them and the associated switching
gears/parts.

I certainly appreciate your feedback, it has been most helpful and
informative.

Cheers ...

Geoffrey Hyde