 Robotics / 22063
Re: How Many Mindstorms Have Been Sold? Or What's the Highest RCX Product Serial Number?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 16 Jan 2004 03:48:54 GMT

Adding extra digits depends on the machine making the parts.  Due to the
uniformity and spacing of the numbers on all three of my RCX's, I'd say
that's unlikely--but possible.  On my RCX's, the numbers are all formed into
the plastic, which suggests to me that they are using a mechanical stamping
mechanism that is somehow heated.  The "RCX *.0" marking is silkscreened.
So, that even suggests that the same machine was used to mark all of the RCX
top halves, which makes sense.

Based on what I have, there are 3 distinct RCX top halves.  All of them have
6 digits.  The numbers could run from 000000 to 999999.  Therefore, there is
a potential for 3 million unique RCX's.

My RCX's are as follows:

1.0 - 094089 (RIS 1.0)
1.0 - 429041 (RIS 1.5)
2.0 - 634274 (RIS 2.0)

Maybe someone will chart the range on an online registry and we can see if
they overlap.  If the number ranges overlap, then that increases the odds
that there are 3 million RCX's.

- Rob