 Robotics / 20801
Re: THOUGHTS on mapping with Lego Robot ( added to searching walls)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 28 May 2003 22:01:58 GMT

Xyvind Steinnes wrote:
I'm not good at programing at all, but have some thougts about maze-mapping:
If you have some metods of positioning system like GPS then you know exact
where the robot are at all time, then the robot can send information back to
the PC where there are obstacles.

Yes - but that is precisely 100% of the problem.  There is no known convenient/cheap
GPS-like system with the properties we desire.  Camera's above the arena and things
pasted onto the floor are not possible in many real-world situations.  The camera
approach is difficult in variable lighting situations or in a room where the
robot can drive under a chair or table.

Standard GPS is only accurate to ~10 feet - and it doesn't work well indoors.
Differential GPS is much better - but it requires an expensive 'base station'.

With a type of "I-know-where-I-am" system (GPS) you can easy map each sector
and see if there is obstacles between sectors.

Yes - if you can know your absolute position and heading, the problem is
pretty simple.

HomeEmail: <sjbaker1@airmail.net>    WorkEmail: <sjbaker@link.com>
HomePage : http://www.sjbaker.org
Projects : http://plib.sf.net    http://tuxaqfh.sf.net