 Robotics / 20800
Re: THOUGHTS on mapping with Lego Robot ( added to searching walls)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 28 May 2003 19:52:11 GMT

What I want to do is take a five foot by five foot square, put random • items
in the square, MAP THE SQUARE AND OBSTACLES and run our dog robot around • the
course and never have it stop. I do not want to do obstacle avoidance • (that
is much easier) I want to build a map and work from it.

Even commercial guidence systems use periodic recalibration, for example
with small magnets in the floor. The robot knows where the magnets are and
if it finds a magnet off center to it's expected position it will
recalibrate.

In your case I suppose putting magnets in the living room floor is not an
option, so you could use three lights, positioned in a triangle around the
arena. Every once in a while the robot can stop, turn around and search the
lights. Based on the relative position of the lights the current position
can be calculated. You don't even need a rotation sensor, just accurate
timing of the turning process.

Bert
www.vandam.tk