 Robotics / 20428
Re: Back wheel construction advice
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 20 Mar 2003 02:52:50 GMT

Russ.

I have found myself needing a similar freely-rotating wheel, and have had
only marginal success with a caster type of arrangement.  I've been
daydreaming about a ball bearing arrangement (think of a mouse ball) but
this would probably take us out of the Lego-only realm.

Matthias Jetleb  (Jetleb@Netcom.ca) showed a few of us at one of our
monthly rtlToronto dinners, something he came up with.

I don't have any of the lego CAD products to draw it up.  BUT.

if I attempt to describe it.

He wrapped a lego soccer ball with technic chain links.  he then
"pinched"  the chain links between  two lego cams.  The end result is an
all lego solution to what you just described as a ball bearing
arrangement.

the chain links prevent the ball from falling out, yet, let it roll
around within its confines.

I'm not a purist,
and could live with that, but would prefer a Lego solution.  Does anyone
have a good idea, Lego or non-Lego?

hope this helps

I'm going to CC Matt on this in the hopes that he will maybe take a
photo and post.

Chris