 Robotics / 20397
Re: Back wheel construction advice
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 16 Mar 2003 21:18:11 GMT

How big is the robot?  If we're talking -Lego scale, maybe an actual ball
mouse would be an answer - you can get very small ones meant to be used with
laptops.

Think about it - you're in the right approximate size range AND you get
accurate 2-axis motion encoding in a TINY package, axles, encoders,
everything appropriately placed, in the bargain.

A Dremel or other similar grinding tool should suffice to pare away unwanted
parts of the mouse's case to save weight and space. Most mice I have
disassembled have a DIP header or similar connector allowing quick
disconnect of the mouse cord from the circuit board, so a prototyper's work
is almost all done from that perspective - just supply +5V from your robot's
main board to excite the optical encoders, bring the output lines out to
your main board, and there... you... are.

If you need a bigger "caster" you could do worse than scale up the innards
of a mouse to give you the same 2-axis motion encoding capability - make
that caster pull its weight!

----- Original Message -----
From: "Russ Sprouse" <russprouse@adelphia.net>
To: <lego-robotics@crynwr.com>
Sent: Sunday, March 16, 2003 6:20 AM
Subject: RE: Back wheel construction advice

I have found myself needing a similar freely-rotating wheel, and have had
only marginal success with a caster type of arrangement.  I've been
daydreaming about a ball bearing arrangement (think of a mouse ball) but
this would probably take us out of the Lego-only realm.  I'm not a purist,
and could live with that, but would prefer a Lego solution.  Does anyone
have a good idea, Lego or non-Lego?

  -- Russ