 Robotics / 19998
Re: Big synchro drives: vacuum cleaner, lawn mower
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 10 Jan 2003 15:45:50 GMT

Thanks everyone for the comments.

Iain: I know the offset solutions. Two wheeled seemed to be a lot more
stable back then.

Rob: Good stuff on your page. Do you thing BrickOS will read the rotation
sensor faster? That might solve everything. BTW, I didn't give it up because
it was too complex. It was just like work. That was all. I did behavior
programming for virtual worlds at that time which is code that makes things
move in a 3d environment. It was exactly the same. And do something
easier... I don't see that as well. Everything I touch seems to get complex
real soon and I like that. In a couple of years the kids will be old enough
and I look forward to that. :-)

Tobbe: The 'normal' synchros are quite small. It would be high and
unstable that way? It might work on a table but not on the floor with
carpets, gaps in the wood, etc. The platform is not *that* complicated and I
still think it was a good idea to transfer some of the problems that are
usually solved with mechanics into software. If it works it will be a really
versatile platform, capable of a wide range of motions and with integrated
collision detection. A Killough drive was always an intriguing alternative
but it had already been built, was obviously patented (not that I would want
to sell it but it put me off). I wanted to do something new. But you're
right turning on spot of the whole unit is not necessary for this
application. Maybe I should just build a simple platform to finish it. For
ex. take the LawnBot platform and connect the drivetrain with another chain
and drive the whole thing with two motors, then use the third to unclutch
the drivetrain motor during turning. Or something like an automatic unclutch
when the turning motor kicks in... Hm...

Brian: That was the page I was looking for.