 Robotics / 19986
Re: Big synchro drives: vacuum cleaner, lawn mower
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 9 Jan 2003 23:28:30 GMT

"Stefan Elsner" <news02@lowpoly.com> wrote in message

Hi,

I finally found the time to put a web page up for the bots i built two • years
ago:

http://www.lowpoly.com/lego/index.htm

Stefan,  this is some really incredible work.  I would never have thought to
use shocks as a way of moving a rotation through a compressing joint!  I had
tried building a lawn-mowing robot when I was younger (it concerned my
parents when I hot-glued razor blades to a pulley and spun that on the
ungeared 9V motors) but I was unable to make it work.  The vacuum robot is
really amazing.

I think if you can get the synchro drive to work you will have a really
amazing thing.  There are a lot of people who have solved the problem of
synchro, by puting one wheel on each synchro base table and then gearing it
to rotate at just the right rate that the wheel traces the path it would
anyway.  But there are others who read this group who can elaborate on that
better than I can.

Great work, and thanks for sharing it!

    Iain