 Robotics / 19989
Re: Big synchro drives: vacuum cleaner, lawn mower
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 10 Jan 2003 06:10:52 GMT

Hi Stefan,

Very, very impressive! I am currently in the process of building a synchro
robot. I must say they are probably one of the most difficult driving bases
you can possibly build. There are many well designed synchros on the
internet, but most of them are quite small. In trying to build a larger
synchro platform, I have found that backlash in the gearing and frame
rigidity seem to be much worse.
About the design of the wheel units, this is obviously quite difficult since
it is the heart of a synchro base. I took a slightly different approach
which you can see a bit about here:
http://individual.utoronto.ca/stehlik/firefighter.html
I think most real synchro robots use the offset wheel design. This is tricky
to get right with Lego.
I was also impressed with your vacuum unit. Thats one of the most unique and
creative things I have seen done with Lego in a long time. It makes me want
to buy some duplo.
I hope you haven't given up entirely on the hobby. Maybe you should try
something easier than a synchro next time :)

Rob