 Robotics / 19900
  Re: A Generic Idea

(...) You could use an alternate firmware that can generate any tone, a custom modulation-demodulation protocol, and a condenser microphone soldered onto a sensor wire to send at reasonable bitrates for robot communication. Of course, it would take (...) (21 years ago, 5-Jan-03, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: A Generic Idea

Nick Tarleton wrote: > I don't know how fast the speaker can change frequency > or how soon it can be reacted to, so I can't get a bandwidth estimate. The telephone system can (at best) transmit at 56Kbaud (that's the speed of the fastest possible (...) (21 years ago, 5-Jan-03, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: A Generic Idea

(...) There's a caveat you miss, it is limited using the forms of modulation that modems use (ie FSK derived). For example ISDN uses a different sort of modulation (ie Q-modulation) and it does 128k over the same phone lines. I use ISDN to connect (...) (21 years ago, 5-Jan-03, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: A Generic Idea

(...) Yes - but when they install ISDN or DSL on your line, they switch out some electronics at the telephone exchange - remove some line filtering, pull out the digital part of the stream from the analog part, etc, etc. If you just have the audio (...) (21 years ago, 5-Jan-03, to lugnet.robotics)

  RE: A Generic Idea

Steve Baker summarized neatly: The big design issue is whether to have the brain near or far. If far, you need more communications bandwidth, but you can have a mongo brain. If near, you can minimize your investment in communications overhead, but (...) (21 years ago, 6-Jan-03, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: A Generic Idea

(...) I summarized neatly too, while he got into the intricacies of DTMF and Phreaking in the 70s... :D (...) It wasn't a generic solution, it was a generic idea. The generic cel phone would provide a generic link to any generic PC in the world. You (...) (21 years ago, 6-Jan-03, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: A Generic Idea

(...) It's actually worse than that since 56k is only 33.6k upstream unless you have a special line. Most ISP's have these special lines giving their customers 53k/56k downstream. The 53k limit is an FCC thing imposed on older modems that was lifted (...) (21 years ago, 6-Jan-03, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: A Generic Idea

(...) My aging Agenda PDA does integer work at about the speed of a 100MHz Pentium. Floating point performance is terrifyingly slow though. Since the Agenda is a couple of years old now, I'd expect PDA's to be two or three times faster by now - so (...) (21 years ago, 6-Jan-03, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: A Generic Idea

(...) When did I say that? Talking to a parallel port in C is easy in most OS's. ---...--- Steve Baker ---...--- HomeEmail: <sjbaker1@airmail.net> WorkEmail: <sjbaker@link.com> HomePage : (URL) : (4 URLs) (21 years ago, 6-Jan-03, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: A Generic Idea

(...) I extrapolated your complaints that PDAs have OS's where the c compilers don't have libraries to do the simplest things... : ("You need more than that though. Along with your C compiler, you need a set of libraries that give you access to the (...) (21 years ago, 7-Jan-03, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: A Generic Idea

Yes, I think the point isn't whether or not the robot has enough oomph to recognize faces or things like that :D The point is that you can do a *lotta* fun stuff with a camera or mike in a robot, if ONLY you could give the RCX a link to something (...) (21 years ago, 7-Jan-03, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: A Generic Idea

To get a PDA to interface to RCX is easy, i am right in thinking that TV remote is the same freqency etc as RCX? If so go to pdawin.com and get TVRemote (URL) i use version 3.1 which can learn commands, and we can display this on the PC and control (...) (21 years ago, 7-Jan-03, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: A Generic Idea

(...) Yes - I can control the RCX from my SONY Television remote (which is a programmable one) by 'teaching' it key commands from the Lego Remote - so if your PDA can act like a learning remote - it can drive the RCX and Scout bricks. (...) Yep - (...) (21 years ago, 7-Jan-03, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: A Generic Idea

You might be interested in the CMUcam. See (URL) CMUcam is a new low-cost, low-power sensor for mobile robots. You can use CMUcam to do many different kinds of on-board, real-time vision processing. Because CMUcam uses a serial port, it can be (...) (21 years ago, 8-Jan-03, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: A Generic Idea

(...) Now there are TV remotes that are computer controlled, so we don't even have to move our opposable thumb? Technology strides ever forward :PPP How would you get the TV remote control to talk to BrickOS or the RCX software though? (...) I don't (...) (21 years ago, 8-Jan-03, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: A Generic Idea

That IS interesting. I don't intend building a robot out of plywood and buying controller boards, that's no challenge :P But it would be nice to adapt the serial link to the RCX and see what, if anything you could do with it! <Waits for Steve to (...) (21 years ago, 8-Jan-03, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: A Generic Idea

(...) have (...) Yep its brilliant isn't it :) you can even do the whole house via the PC and x10 if u want :) (...) As this is meant to be a roverbot, i was envisiging learning the RCX remote control buttons to send mssg A and therefore make it go (...) (21 years ago, 9-Jan-03, to lugnet.robotics)