 Robotics / 1972
Re: Bumper Ideas Needed
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 31 Dec 1998 13:55:32 GMT

Laurentino Martins wrote:

Hi

I've been the working in making a flexible bumper using only one switch for my CyberMaster and after constructing about 4 or 5 prototypes I've found out that after all I don't know how to make a decent flexible-and-with-lots-of-travel bumper.
I need such a bumper for detecting impacts ahead of the real impact so I can make a soft stop before impacting the object. Also, the bumper should be able to read impacts with a wide angle (45 degrees).

Since it seems bumpers are one of those things everybody needs and LEGO has forgotten to create, I think we could create a mini-contest on how to create the best bumper with standard LEGO parts.

By the way, anyone have any mechanical idea how to make a small round bumper that reacts to 360 degrees impacts (I mean, any horizontal impact around the sensor) and using only one sensor?

I've had a good deal of success with multiple antennae hanging from
horizontal axes which when actuated lift a piston vertically to connect
with a sensor mounted above it, thus:

                      #  <- touch sensor

                      ^
                      |  <- piston

                     ===
                  o--- ---o  <-- antenna pivot
                /           \ <-- antenna

It's pretty easy to do a four-antenna system actuating a single touch
sensor so that impacts in any of the four cardinal directions register;
it might be possible to extend this to register 'all round' impacts, but
I haven't been very successful yet with corner impacts.

-- mens vacua in medio vacuo --