 Robotics / 1971
Re: Antenna Bumpers/Insects
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 31 Dec 1998 13:38:41 GMT

Vaan, Howard wrote:

I've just made a simple bot with the antenna-like config in the
Constructopedia + implemented the simple touch>stop motor algorithm.

One problem the robot has is with table/chair legs and the like - the bot
wanders straight into it and then can't escape because the antennae make it
continually steer back into it.

OK - I know plenty of ways to fix this, from a HW or SW point of view . . .
that's not the question.

How do real insects with long antenna manage this problem?  Can they walk
backwards?  I don't think so . . .

Yes, I've seen just this behaviour.

Work-around --

(i) use the purple corrugated pipes as antenna, with just a short axle
in the end; and

(ii) instead of mounting the two antennae on one pivot (so that they're
fixed in relation to each other) mount them on two separate pivots.

Now the problem is that the antennae tend to swing in to the centre and
stay there. Final part of the fix:

(iii) join the two antennae with a third length of flexible tube, or

(iv) use elastic bands to hold the antennae in their outward-facing
position

You need to make sure your outward springing is not too strong or else
you may get false positives on your sensors.

-- mens vacua in medio vacuo --