 Robotics / 1970
Re: legOS - Does it work for you?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 31 Dec 1998 11:37:41 GMT

Rick Kimball wrote:

I'm really excited about the legOS.  I got egcs that
came with RedHat 5.1 setup as a cross compiler. I
grabbed the source to legOS and started playing...
In fact, that is all I have done for the last couple
of days.

I've had good success running the demo programs.
That is, as long as I don't toggle the run button
more than 5 or 6 times.  After that the RCX would
just flake out.  I spent some time debugging it and
it looks to me like the task management stuff
is corrupting memory.  I added my own mm_grim_reaper
routine to the main loop that basically does an
mm_init.

Hmmm ... not so sure if the task manager is responsible - I have a
related (I think) problem if I use static variables - programs that work
fine with global variables just lock solid when they are static. Since
making them static merely moves them around the memory map (and, because
of alignment, in the particular case moves everything else up by errr 8
bytes?) I strongly suspect memory corruption. But this happens first
run, so my finger is pointing at memory management, not task management.

It might be worth picking up the standard malloc/free and seeing if they
work any better.

Cheers,

Ben.

--
Ben Laurie            |Phone: +44 (181) 735 0686| Apache Group member
Freelance Consultant  |Fax:   +44 (181) 735 0689|http://www.apache.org/